This article on the life and work of Harold Pinter entered the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography in January 2012.  I have provided a publicly accessible link to it for those who otherwise have not been able to access it on the internet.  (The online edition of the Oxford DNB is accessible to public library patrons in the UK, and to European university library patrons, but not accessible to public libraries without a paid subscription in the US.

[Update: I've also provided the link to this article in my thread posted earlier: "Plaque Unveiled to Mark Pinter's Childhood Home."  I've moved the following note from that thread into this one.] 

N.B.: 
In the above-linked DNB entry, there is an error in the year given for Pinter's NT production of No Man's Land (the one that he directed, in which Corin Redgrave played Hirst): it should be 2001, not 2000.   (HaroldPinter.org gives its production history.)  I believe that the final sentence of the paragraph in which that appears (in the section called "Later years and the Nobel prize") should read "seven years," not "eight years," once the year 2000 is corrected to 2001.

A detailed chronology may be found in Lady Antonia Fraser's diary entries in Must You Go? (Weidenfeld & Nicolson 1st ed., 244 f.).  Pinter's cancer diagosis occurred after he had participated in the Lincoln Center Festival: Harold Pinter Festival, in New York City, which occurred in July and August 2001, and after he had traveled to Toronto for his World Leaders Homage in October 2001.  He seemed to enjoy relatively good health throughout most of the summer and early autumn of 2001.  In her entry of 15 November 2001, Lady Antonia Fraser writes: "Harold has not felt well since he returned from Canada, a month ago, absolutely exhausted,  no energy" (Must You Go? 244), adding on 25 Nov. that he was "feeling better.  It's just indigestion," but then by 12 and 13 December 2001, referring to No Man's Land having opened and his being "off for an endoscopy," which resulted in his first cancer diagnosis and follow up tests over the next few days.  From then on, he did not feel well most of the time, but he certainly persevered admirably through his illness to accomplish a great deal, as both Michael Billington and Lady Antonia Fraser relate and celebrate in their accounts of his life.

Copyright © 2017, Susan Hollis Merritt
All rights reserved

Susan Hollis Merritt, PhD
Bibliographical Editor
The Pinter Review (1987-2011)
My profile on MLA Commons

Edited 3 times by shmerritt Mar 4 13 11:42 PM.